When It's Used
Because The Gottman Method is derived from research and practice with more than 3,000 couples of all types and can be applied at any stage of life,
Gottman assists to educate couples in any stage of their relationship.
Couples therapy helps to:
restore healthy functioning to distressed couples, address never ending conficts, heal from with infidelity, substance or behavioural addictions, or destructive patterns.
All therapy is based on a couple’s patterns of interacting, and partners learn and implement relationship-building and problem-solving skills together.
What to Expect
Initial sessions consist of discussing reasons for coming in for therapy, establishing gaols, observing couple interactions and discussing the course for treatment.
1) Each partner establishing a relationship with the therapist through sharing their history, their relationship philosophy, and their goals for treatment
2) Undergoing a thorough assessment of the relationship through Gottman connect, including engaging in discussion of a topic on which partners disagree
Throughout treatment couples will
5) Learn and practice skills to better their relationship, from regainign/creating trust to learning how to communicate, repairing attacks and other regrettable incidents
6) Direct coaching from the therapist in the use of interaction skills
7) Acquiring tools for checking and maintaining relationship health beyond therapy.
Therapy focuses not only providing skills for managing relationships but delivering deeper insight into why partners create the relationship dynamics they do.
The goals of Gottman Method Couples Therapy are to disarm conflicting verbal communication, increase intimacy, respect, and affection, remove barriers that create a feeling of stagnancy in conflicting situations, and create a heightened sense of empathy and understanding within the context of the relationship.
Drs. John and Julie Gottman developed nine components of healthy relationships, known as the Sound Relationship House theory. These include:
Building love maps
Sharing fondness and admiration
Turning towards (as opposed to turning away from each other)
The positive perspective (seeing your partner as a friend, not an adversary)
Making life dreams come true
Creating shared meaning
The Gottman Method is designed to support couples across all economic, racial, sexual orientation, and cultural sectors. Research has shown Gottman Method Couples Therapy to be effective for treating same-sex relationships. Some of the relationship issues that may be addressed in therapy include:
Frequent conflict and arguments
Emotionally distanced couples on the verge of separation
Specific problems such as sexual difficulties, infidelity, money, and parenting